Yesterday’s NaNoWriMo quota got off to a good start with 1739 words logged. No doubt the initial euphoria of getting started helped the words to flow, and it didn’t hurt that I’d been visualising that opening scene for some time.
One thing I found yesterday was that having an outline made the process much easier. To be sure, the outline is fairly loose, with more of the specifics sorted at the beginning and the ending of the novel: it’s the mid-section that is a bit how’s-your-father. On the other hand, with my first novel, Shakespeare’s Tree, I didn’t use an outline at all. But I wasn’t trying to meet a quota of words then either.
I focused more on getting the words down rather than evaluating the quality, but once the quota was met, I went back and tidied up the language before deciding I was done. Whether I continue to work that same way or not, I don’t know. I suspect there will be a fatigue factor once I hit the middle of the process. What with its flabby outline and all.
Anyway, on to a (with luck) robust and muscular day two.